The Mortlock family were Blacksmiths by trade but also worked as agricultural contractors around Bury St Edmunds and Monks Eleigh. They used this workshop to repair traction engines and other agricultural equipment. As contractors, they hired out steam engines and tackle (threshing drums, ploughs, cultivators, etc) with gangs of workers for use on local farms.
Unfortunately, the family never kept up with the times and the invention of the tractor and combine harvester meant their work load diminished. The business ceased trading in 1968.
The building now houses many of the Museum’s working engines:
- Burrell steam traction engine No 3399, ‘Empress of Britain’, built 1912
- The only known pair of Burrell steam ploughing engines believed to exist, built in 1879
- A pair of Walsh & Clark paraffin ploughing engines from 1919
- Tractors including a Case Model C purchased from the Suffolk Agricultural Show in 1934, and a 1948 Fordson E27N
On Steam and Grease Sundays, the Steam Team volunteers bring the sights, smells and sounds of these machines to life as they take them through their paces. To check out the dates, click here.