PLANNING A VISIT
(School visits available from the 26 March)
We can offer an exciting, authentic learning experience for your educational setting through cross-curricular exploration of our site and hands-on Learning Sessions.
The Museum of East Anglian Life is open for educational visits all year round. Pre-booked educational visits to the museum are FREE during our open season, late March-October, and free with a pre-booked Learning Session during our winter season, November-late March.
Learning Sessions operate on a first come, first served basis so booking is essential. If you do not see a suitable session for your group please get in touch, we will try to accommodate all requests and in the past have created individual sessions for school groups. Tailored-made sessions may incur a further charge dependant on the time and resources required to create them. We need a minimum of two weeks’ notice for a Learning Session booking.
Our wide range of collections, buildings and landscapes can support work across the curriculum including Science, Geography, History, English, Maths, Spiritual Moral Social Cultural (SMSC) and Environmental Projects.
To give you an idea of the size and layout of our site, please visit our Museum site map
TO BOOK A VISIT:
Price: FREE if pre-booked
All education visits must be pre-booked to receive free entry. Please book as far in advance as possible to avoid disappointment.
Learning Sessions (Inc. VAT)
£85 (60 min)
-50% for SEND classes
Max 30 pupils
Session Times are:
10.30 – 11.30am
1.00 – 2.00pm
Tailor-made sessions may incur a further charge dependant on time and resources required.
Before you book please consider:
- Risk Assessments. The Museum does provide a basic risk assessment and a River Walk risk assessment. However, we do recommend that teachers visit the site prior to their trip to carry out specific risk assessments. All sessions are risk-assessed.
- The Museum Safeguarding policy is available here
- Appropriate staff/pupil ratio(s), minimum 1 adult to 8 pupils; you may wish to adjust this according to the age/ability of your group
- Which session(s) interest you
- Potential visiting dates
- Number of pupils in your group
- Age/ability of the pupils
- Arrival and departure times – please note the museum opens at 10am.
- Please ensure that children and parents are aware of the open air nature of the site and that helpers have the necessary information such as times of activities, briefing notes where applicable and photocopied maps.
- The weather! The museum is an open air site; weather appropriate clothing will be needed.
- Any other requirements
All schools that have made a booking are entitled to a free teacher’s pre-visit. Appointments can be made Tuesday-Sunday late-March to October and Tuesday-Friday November to late-March; you can meet a member of staff with sufficient notice.
Late March to October: 10am – 4.30pm Tuesday to Friday
November to March: By appointment.
The museum does have areas for coach parking but space is limited and must be booked in advance. The coach entrance is at the end of Lockington Road, Stowmarket, IP14 1BQ. Details are included in your booking confirmation.
Lunch spaces must be booked in advance to ensure a space is available for you on the day; it is heated and is free of charge. Picnic lunches can also be eaten outside. Coats and bags can be left in the room at your own risk. Space for coats and bags is also available in Abbot’s Hall.
The museum has a number of toilets in different areas of the site. They are all marked on the museum map.
Our shop, run by the Tourist Information Centre, has a wide range of quality pocket money toys, including traditional toys. We can also put together goody bags containing a flexible range of items from the shop.
For goody bags please contact the shop direct, giving at least two weeks’ notice.
T: 01449 676800